Sunday, May 07, 2006

april 25, 2006 - mangos

there is something very satisfying about picking a mango yourself and then eating it. today i found a good mango-picking-stick, a long thin piece of dry bamboo. perfect, light and strong with a split at one end that could be used to grab stems. searching out the most perfect, golden-orange specimens, i nudge gently at their stems. the ripest ones fall easily, each thump on the ground beside me a minor victory. sometimes they are less cooperative and require a nudge and a twist. some of the higher ones are beyond the reach even of my bamboo, and these inspire me to stretch and make little hops that are probably hilarious to the average guinean onlooker (or possibly any onlooker). a particularly loaded branch invites a vigorous shaking that results in a shower of fruit. the last mango is the zen mango. i nudge it gently with the bamboo stick in my right hand and as it falls, without really looking or trying, i catch it neatly with the other hand. a perfect sort of moment and time to go home.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda!

wow, I'm amazed that people respond to blog enteries with piches to get a degree in two weeks... random.

It's nice to hear some of your stories from Africa. I'm sorry that you have lots of time to be bored though. I'm envious of the mango picking, :) I could eat mangos all day long....and then have the runs but I'd be ok with that 'cause I had gotten to eat mangos all day long.

I would love to hear more stories. take as long as you like too, i promise i will not get board with them. :)

Take care of yourself honney, I look forward to seeing you again when you come back to montana.

Love,
Lorie

July 1, 2006 at 5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home